Saturday, Sunday, Monday.... 26, 27, 28...

Fiona had a Dance performance on Saturday.... No time for painting.... Sunday we were busy with various activities.... And today John returned from 3 weeks of travel.  Well, Now John is in bed early, and I am winding down, watching THE VOICE and it's now Studio Time.

Several weeks ago, I got some Holi Pigments from India.  This was and accidentally amazing discovery.   In June I was introduced to hand made pigments and shown various methods of storing and using them as would have been customary in Renaissance Days.... Using shells or other vessels.  I was introduced to Guar Gum.

Of course, I could buy Tempera paint in powder, but that wasn't really what I was looking for.... I want to learn more about creating paints using natural resources... Hand mixing pigments, and more...
I have become passionate about earthly organic and natural pigments and materials, understanding where colors and materials come from.... Where did original Reds, blues, and golds come from.

At the same time a friend of mine posted colors and patterns from their family celebration of color.... Hevsnd his daughter painted using vibrant chalks, creating patterns on their patio...  I wanted more...

Could my research get any better? What else would I discover?

Then I found a link to Powdered Holi Colors.  Hmmm.

When my powdered pigments arrived they were in the customary plastic bags. During a color Festival they are used in mass explosions of COLOR. (See the Festival link) But I want to use these as really intense watercolor.  This powder is so fine. It has the texture of duper fine cornstarch... It's very silly. I realized I needed a way to store them.

FESTIVAL of COLOR

I found some pretty glass jars.  Eachnjar held 2 bags of COLOR perfectly.


I just need a small pinch of COLOR and mix with water.   Another discovery...  The pigments have a pleasant perfume, almost like Roses, or saffron depending on the color... The studio smells neat.  

Now... How do I paint with it?  I used Watercolor Paper and just a touch of water, and the powder...

I doodled this.

To get a sense how the Paint would flow... 
I think Illuminated Manuscripts & Calligraphy enhanced with Natural Pigments will be fun.

So more project development will now occur... Because I like it....

I will do more tomorrow.... 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Lessons art Partys... for children and artists of all ages.

September 2023: Studio on Wheels