Plein Air - Out in the Open. - "Lady Gibson, Painter (1781)"

Suzanne Gibson / Plein Air - Live Painting and Demonstrations




I have been keeping up with my plein air painting, and in the process am learning much about myself and the mediums I'm working with.

I prefer Oil, but dabble in Acrylic and use Watercolor for quick studies or when I know transporting oils would be more stress than success.

Here's a little update about what I've done, and where I'm going next!


December 2017 - I played at the dry dock in Newport Beach, with Debra Huse and other artists.  This was a fun challenge.





SPRING 2018

From then, I joined a local group of South Bay Plein Air Painters to just gather and paint and practice.  We've met at various local spots, including my favorite at Point Vicente in Palos Verdes.




Over spring break I went up the coast to San Simeon and Hearst Castle, on the way home we stopped at Morro Beach and I painted while my daughter played.  Here you can see I put everything in a bucket and toted it onto the beach.  I kept it small under the umbrella and on a blanket...



So Now I'm planning to combine my 3 loves:  Art Demonstrations, Plein Air Painting, and teaching Historical Painting....  by creating a Living Painting History - as a "Lady Gibson, Circa 1781"  around the age of Romanticism in Art was beginning.  Influences of this era would be English and French Painters: Gainsborough, Monet, and Blake... Poets and Writers: Wordsworth, Yeats, and Caroll.
Washington and Hamilton were busy building the United States, and Marie Antoinette of France was being painted by Elizabeth Vigée Le Brun... (who I am modeling my presentation from)



 My Travel Set Up will vary according to how far I need to walk or if I can drive up and park.  Back pack or rolling? It all depends.

This is my past travel set-up.  I'm forgoing the large pop-up for the Plein air demonstrations as It is too cumbersome, and have elected to recycle the Sunbrella from our patio (shown with table here) as my shade.  It is large enough to provide me shade if my location is set for the event.

I will have a FEW paintings for sale and a sampling of what I teach.


for the Costume: I am modelling my outfit on this image, a self-portrait of Elizabeth Vigee Le Brun (1781). Including the Hat!  
Stay Tuned!!!

Elizabeth Vigée Le Brun

 Here are some other images that I've painted. 


Photo Reference: Redondo Beach / King Harbor, Painting / Salon - "Portofino"




This painting was done after an early morning walk after a storm.  The air was crisp and fresh.  I took a walk, took this photo... went home and painted it within 2 hours it was done!  Quick!


Antique Car - Uruguay
 This car was photographed by my friends brother.  He posted and shared it and I just HAD TO PAINT IT.  I took the opportunity to try painting on RAW BURLAP which was a unique experience.

It was started at 11:45 a.m. and complete by 1:30 p.m. / yes, a quick painting, even by my own standards... I'm very pleased with this piece.  It is part of our personal collection, it comes with me for special events as a sample of what I can do!
Slo-Lee Ranch - Harvest Ball / Live Painting
 Every Autumn our Family is invited to a Harvest Ball.  The last time we went I was able to set up and paint from the corner of the party.  It was fun to capture the movement, the lights, and enjoy the festivities.  I gave the painting to the host of the party!

Pt. Fermin Palms / Plein Air 

Early morning walks in San Pedro are wonderful in July!  This is one of my favorite photos, which very quickly became a canvas!


 King Harbor - Yacht / Quick Sketch Local walks with my kids and dogs produce fun pictures too!  Especially when the lighting is this good!from the Kayak

A little fresh air with my son produced a few fun photos, which have become quick studies.  This yacht is one of them!

"Lake Alondra" Dusk.


 Fruit and Flowers / Still-Life Study


Back in the studio, there's something about a still-life set up that is just fun.  Especially when I can eat the fruit while I'm working!



I hope you have enjoyed the introduction to my art, and would be interested in classes, workshops or a live demonstration!  Private, group or classroom settings are available for churches, clubs, girl or boy scout troops, and various organizations.  Please contact Suzanne Gibson (Lady Gibson, Painter) for further information or scheduling.


(310) 739-5978
suzannegibsonartist@gmail.com



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Lessons art Partys... for children and artists of all ages.

September 2023: Studio on Wheels