Searching for Inspiration: 2021

Sometimes I just need to search through my own photos of past projects, and past inspirations to decide what to paint next.  Or what to teach next?   There's a reason I keep a photo journal of my ideas.
"Simon" The Simon series, inspired by my brother's name, and name art.  It has become a basic lesson I teach all my students.  It is also a great "Commission" work, as I've done several dozen with other names for clients.  Ranging from a sample size 4" x 6" for a baby, to a grand family name as a Wedding Gift.  Customize  your own color scheme!

"Pink and Yellow Roses" photographed after picking fresh from my mothers garden.
Still planning a large bouquet canvas with this idea.  I love the structure of the frame and the contemporary print from the Guggenheim in the reflection.  I'm partial to my kids racecars on the mantle too... I guess it marks a moment in time...


Taking a neighborhood walk... sometimes a small vignette, like this wall and lamp make for a great composition.  I like the structure and the perspective.  This will make for a great lesson for "vanishing" point.


"Morning has Broken" was a lovely 10" x 20" painting that I did several years ago.  It was inspired by the song, "Morning has Broken", and the white daisies were lined up as they appear in the written sheet music.  It was auctioned for a charity event by the "Friends of LACMA".  I hope to do more paintings like this as it was truly an enjoyable project.  Just suggest a few songs and I'll see what happens.

"Peace Rose" was one of the first successful Pastel Paintings I did.  This one is in my portfolio, and I intend to get it properly matted and framed... Maybe that's a project for this year!!!  Frame It!!!


"Seagull" 1 of 2 Mixed Media paintings that are housed in the offices of Ron Anfuso, CPA.  His office has 8 to 10 of my paintings on display throughout the suite.  

Poppies.  Tulips...  and Breezy Fields of Flowers.  How can we say no to bright and cheerful blooms like this?  Watch for more blooms in my on-going California Collection.


Swaying Palm... This was a Gift for my cousin Georgina.  She had taken a trip to Vietnam, and sent this lovely photograph of a palm, bending to reach for sunlight!  This was done with Fabric Paint on unprimed linen so that I could roll it up and Send it without a frame to England.  


Reflections:  One of many nature walks at our local Madrona Marsh, produces wonderful nature shots that become a never ending resource for paintings.  This one remains on my to do list.



A frequent location for me... Point Vicente in Palos Verdes.  This light house and cove has been the focal point for a number of paintings.  Watercolors, Acrylics, and Oils.  


Reeds and Leaves.  Sometimes the abstract in nature is just artistically pleasing.


There's never a bad day if you include ART!


Mixed Medium: Mulberry Papers on card.  It is always important to try out a material in a small scale, with kids, to determine how lovely or horrible the task is.  What are the instructions that make the project work?  What will make it easier?  
And 10 years later, how has this piece held up?  Because of the way it was stored, did it collect dust, bugs, or become attractive for moths?  Not this piece, but there have been some "only good for the trash" discoveries.  But if finished, sealed, and framed properly, would it have longevity?  These are ongoing discoveries, which in turn take and idea and art into decorative and successful.

"Fountain" in Old Town Temecula.  This was my first experience at a Paint Out / Plein Air Invitational.  It was a moment where I watched, looked, listened, and enjoyed the experience.  I did a  lot of homework that weekend.  This finished piece is an observation of dripping water down with Watercolor, Ink and is framed and available.  It is in the "Gibson Gallery".


Yellow Roses.   Painting in "Clare's Garden" and now available in notecards.
The Original is here in my studio as Inspiration!  I will be framing it this year too.


Painted on the "6th" day of Christmas (I counted the sailboats).. as part of a Challenge several years ago.  This was following a whale watch off the Palos Verdes Coast, from Redondo Beach.  I will be making this one available in notecards as well... the original has sold.


This is ME!!!!
One of my favorite images in a photo (2" x 2" square) of myself, wearing a red dress, looking at daffodils with my mother.  She always quoted Wordsworth's poem by memory...

"I wandered lonely as a cloud
That floats on high o'er vales and hills,
When all at once I saw a crowd,
A host, of golden daffodils;..."



"One Fat Tomato"


"Pear"


30 day challenges help keep the inspiration going. Several times a year I will dedicate a month to focus and produce a variety of works.  September typically gives a lot of autumn colors and tones... 

Abstracts and Journals also become fresh at the beginning of each year.  Like a resolution or inspiration board...  Past, Present, Future... Vision Boards and Inspirational Journeys are always going to be part of my journey.  This one is a good example.



I found the original image that was used for my "Palms" painting 

My Mackintosh Project is on hold.. but that doesn't mean I can't rethink my project. Everything has been pushed back a year due to COVID... So I guess I get another year to make samples!


This is a Journal Cover...  I just love this style of painting!  


More Reflections: This is at Alondra Park. I've used this image in a charcoal study...  It's a great image.


Above the rooftops..  A study in doing brush strokes, and making a not so pretty scene look interesting.


Cherry Blossoms in Washington DC.  
I think these were taken near Mount Vernon when Fiona and I were on a walking tour.


MAGNOILA


I've done a few small canvases using magnolias and am preparing to take out some larger canvases and just fill them up.  Creating the composition will be a fun challenge.  And yes, It's taking a few years, and a lot of study for this one.   I also have a view of my neighbors tree from my bathroom window.  I look forward to the blooms every June.... 



Mantilla Poppies also bloom in June.
There's a great "Bunch" at the Madrona Marsh.  
I have already painted the one below, on a large canvas.  
They make me think of "Fried Eggs"... 



The Bees love them too...  I think the next one will also feature some bees.




I didn't do anything special to this photograph... except an "Antique" frame provided by my phone...
It has a great quality that will be beautiful on a canvas.  I will take out the Christmas lights {Can you see them?)  But what's not to like about the detail in those rose petals?  I see a few close up canvases featuring this one.  


"Persephone"  Still one of my favorite quick sketches.  She's on a miniature 3" x 6" raw canvas. Part of my private collection, not for sale.   But.... Inspiration for painting more like this!









"Goose"  Isn't he handsome?  He is painted life-sized.  Canvas is 30" tall.


Painting outdoors... Plein Air,.... In a hat, well dressed...  What a lovely day!
I look forward to getting outside again!  I think I should have a painting "Costume" like this!  Not just sweats or jeans????    Maybe a Victorian Skirt and Smock?  



Painting in Color!  
The entire Color Wheel in One Set-up.  
This allows me to explain the various colors with real examples.




Painting On Location: Plein Air

Wexford, Ireland 2019


I joined many artists to watch, practice, and learn...


I took a workshop and watched a demonstration by Lori Putnam... (seen here)




In my own garden and studio... the "Garden Studio" is often a place I find myself.

Fresh Tomatoes... and GUAC (Grown Up Art Classes) under the Avocado Tree...



September 2020 / QUARANTINE STUDIO has given me time to focus and practice my art, my methods, and various styles.  Always room to learn!  Join me in 2021 as I continue to teach and learn.

Join on FB @SuzanneGibsonArtist
Join on INSTAGRAM @SuzanneArtist

Learn More:  SuzanneGibsonArtist@gmail.com


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Art Lessons art Partys... for children and artists of all ages.

September 2023: Studio on Wheels